When you receive this post, I expect to be sitting in a cafe near this plaza in Siena, Italy. I am on vacation and expect to have a wonderful trip and to recharge my battery at the same time. I often experience getting completely out of my world as the best way to unleash creativity and return full of energy for the work I love. How about you?
I started thinking how to recharge in different ways. We all recharge our phones and tablets; wouldn’t leave home without doing that. Why don’t we integrate recharging into our day/week/month/year?
I suspect we do this in very different ways. So, I’ll offer you my examples in three categories. Since I don’t think about recharging as often as I should, I’ll admit that I had to make some of these up or consider what I’m already doing that could be more energizing.
- Vacation, preferably time zones and countries away from the U.S. East Coast.
- A weekend of quiet, reading, fishing, and good conversation.
- Call a friend and talk about fun things
- Walk my dog Mollie
- Be in nature
- A spa experience, even 30-minute manicures can make me slow down
- Yoga, on my own especially
While In Use
- Breathe in quietly
- Find the humor in a situation or person
- Enjoy good work with a client
- Really listen to someone I care about (work or personal life)
So, this week consider re-vamping your personal recharging plan. If you don’t have one, make one up!